In 2019, the global liquid-based biofuels market is estimated to be valued at US$ 137.4 Bn and account for 160 Bn litres in terms of volume. Since 2000, the liquid-based bioethanol production has increased 10 folds. Within the market, bioethanol segment accounted for the largest revenue share of over 80% in 2019. This is primarily due to increasing government focus towards renewable resources for energy and steady demand from the transportation sector across the globe.
Global Liquid-based Biofuels Market Insights, Trends, and Key Developments:
Various research institutes, ethanol producers focus on improving ethanol yield and production efficiency through research and development activities
- In June 2019, a set of researchers announced that they have developed a two-step method to improve bioethanol production efficiency. This process involves efficiently breaking down carbohydrates into single sugar components.
Cellulosic ethanol offers significant CO2 emissions reductions compared with fossil-based transport fuels therefore commercialising cellulose-based biofuels creates lucrative opportunity for players. In addition, it offers limiting the agricultural residue-burning in fields. Countries such as the US, Brazil, Europe, and India lead cellulosic ethanol development owing to a complementary industry and agricultural sectors as well as policy support. This segment is anticipated to register a significant growth during the forecast period.
Global Liquid-based Biofuels Market, by Product and Source Type:
Among the product type, bioethanol segment currently dominates the liquid-based biofuels market accounting for US$ 112.5 Bn in 2019. The bioethanol market in North America and South America is estimated to collectively dominate the global market in 2019 accounting for over 85% revenue share. This is primarily driven by increasing adoption in the transportation sector. Whereas in the biodiesel segment, the market in Europe is estimated to account for over 40% revenue share in 2019.
Global Liquid-based Biofuels Market, by Region:
US and Brazil are the largest producer of bioethanol and accounts for over 80% production share globally. This is driven by stringent regulations and various initiatives from the government. In Brazil, since march 2015, the government mandates a limit mix of 27% of ethanol for gasoline. This has led to increase adoption of ethanol in the transportation sector. In addition, sugarcane accounts for the largest share of above 60% for ethanol production in 2019.
Compared to other emerging country, for instance, in India the current mandate for ethanol in gasoline lies between 4-5% and target is to reach 10% by 2022. This increase would lead to lucrative opportunities for local and regional players in India.
However, countries such as South Africa and Mexico are at early stages of adopting biofuel for transportation, therefore market development and utilising advance technologies for production is of utmost importance.
Global Liquid-based Biofuels Market Size and Forecast: Competition Landscape
Various key players focus on partnerships and acquisition of new production technologies in order to enhance their presence and broaden production capacity
- In August 2019, NewEnergyBlue acquired rights to bio-conversion technology for biofuel production from Inbicon
- In August 2019, Praj Industries signed a cooperation agreement with Dedini S/A Indústrias de Base, which is a Brazil-based ethanol producer, in order to offer ethanol production technologies to the Brazilian market
Some key liquid-based biofuels market players are:
- Cargill, Incorporated
- The Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Pacific Ethanol, Inc. (Aventine Renewable Energy Holdings, Inc.)
- Abengoa S.A.
- Flint Hills Resources LP
- Renewable Energy Group
- Valero Energy Corporation
- Green Plains Renewable Energy
- The Andersons, Inc.
By Product Type:
By Source Type:
- Sugar Crops
- Cellulose Biomass
- Vegetable Oils
- Light Passenger Vehicles
- Road Freight
- Shipping and Aviation
What Will You Discover in the Report?
- An in-depth analysis of the liquid-based biofuels market across regions – North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa.
- How the liquid-based biofuels market revenue is expected to grow throughout the forecast period.
- How geopolitical policies and technological changes will affect the liquid-based biofuels market in near future
- Which current and upcoming technologies will shape up the liquid-based biofuels market?
- Where the stakeholders should invest to generate higher profit margins
- How consumers (end-users) will reflect to the liquid-based biofuels industry during the forecast period
- Who are the liquid-based biofuels industry leaders and what are the key initiatives taken by them for long term growth?
- Industry exclusive use cases
Who will benefit from the Report?
- Liquid-based biofuels Producers
- Raw Material Provider
- Biofuels Manufacturers
- Consultants and Analysts
Analyst access with Bekryl Market Analysts
Purchasing of global liquid-based biofuels market research report will give clients access to 120 minutes telephonic access with a research analyst. The duration for access to analysts will be based on the report subscription editions.