Global Hydrocephalus Shunt market size is estimated to be valued over US$ 478 million in 2022 and is expected to register 7.4% CAGR during the forecast period. Hydrocephalus is a medical condition caused due to accumulation of fluid in the brain These shunts are medical devices that are placed inside the brain to drain out the extra cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). These devices are highly effective and is widely preferred means of treating the patients. Over the last ten years, prevalence rate of congenital hydrocephalus has decreased to a large extent. As per the estimates, every one in 1000 births is affected with congenital hydrocephalus. Acquired hydrocephalus has also increased in recent years mainly due to changing lifestyle or illness and injuries caused to the brain. Medical industry has seen few major technological advancements that are highly effective to treat such cases. Shunting is one such procedure. Sales of ventriculoperitoneal Shunt has increased and is expected to continue its growth momentum during the forecast period.
Hydrocephalus shunt market is highly consolidated. Only a few players are engaged in manufacturing the shunts. As a result, manufacturers have greater control on the profit margins. These players primarily focus on product development and well developed distribution channels. Partnership with regional vendors and hospitals has yielded stable growth since past many years.
In 2022, Medtronic plc, B. Braun Melsungen AG, and Integra LifeSciences Corporation accounted for over 81% of global sales revenue.
Key Trends and Factors Driving Hydrocephalus Shunt Market Demand:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) has been a major cause of concern for healthcare personnel. According to the American Speech Language Hearing Association, over 1.7 million TBIs are detected every year in U.S. TBI is also known as silent epidemic since it contributes to over 30% of all injury related deaths worldwide. Various studies have correlated acquired hydrocephalus prevalence due to rise in number of traumatic brain injury cases.
- Shunting manufacturers take various measures to create awareness among consumers related hydrocephalus prevalence and its potential causes. Such awareness campaign also help companies to showcase their products and reach maximum number of consumers. In addition to companies, there are various organization and NGOs that work solely on creating awareness on neurological disorders. Hydrocephalus Association is one such dedicated organization focuses on creating awareness related to hydrocephalus among common masses. Innovative campaigns and research grants has helped organization to ensure effective treatment. In 2018, the organization awarded Hydrocephalus Association (HA) Innovator Award to three scientists.
- Increase in geriatric population is another major cause of hydrocephalus. Geriatric population are more susceptible to brain injuries and other environmental factors. As a result, neurological cases are prevalent among the population. Shunting is required to ensure the people have healthy lifestyle. In 2018, hydrocephalus shunting was seen in majority of the targeted geriatric population.
- Merger and Acquisitions continues to be a key trend in hydrocephalus shunt market. Cut-throat competition and need to acquire newer technologies are key factors that led companies to opt for mergers and acquisitions. In 2017, Integra LifeSciences Corporation acquired Johnson & Johnson Codman Neurosurgery business for US$1.045 billion. Acquisition has helped Integra LifeSciences to have the broad medical device portfolios in the neurosurgery market.
- Product Development is another major hydrocephalus shunt market trend. Companies and institutes are spending heavily to launch newer products. Recently, in 2018, Rogers Research Group at Northwestern University, developed sensor that can measure temperature to determine how much fluid is flowing through a shunt in hydrocephalus patient. The technology could potentially help save. health care system millions of dollars. Similar such technologies are expected to emerge in the market in next eight to ten years.
Hydrocephalus Shunt Market Size: Segment Analysis
- On the basis of products, the industry is segmented into valves and catheters. In 2022, valves accounted for 86% of total value sales. It will continue to maintain its market share throughout the forecast period.
- On the basis of therapeutic procedure, the industry revenue is analyzed across ventriculoperitoneal, ventriculoatrial, ventriculopleural, and lumboperitoneal. Among these, ventriculoperitoneal accounted for the highest share in 2018.
- On the basis of targeted population (patients by age demographics), majority of hydrocephalus shunting was performed on pediatric population. This is because congenital hydrocephalus prevalence is high compared to acquired hydrocephalus.
- On the basis of end-use channel, hydrocephalus shunting market sales is witnessed across hospital, clinics, neuro-centers, ambulatory surgical centers, and academic & research centers among others. 88% of hydrocephalus shunting procedure was carried out in hospitals in 2018.
Global Hydrocephalus Shunt Market Size, Regional Analysis:
North America hydrocephalus shunt market accounted for 55.2% of global share in 2022. Growth in the region is mainly attributed to higher hydrocephalus prevalence rate along with well-developed healthcare infrastructure and favorable government reimbursement policies. The region is also characterized by presence of major companies having strong distribution channel.
Western Europe is another major market for the industry players. Almost all players have CE approval for the shunt. The region has significantly higher number of pediatric population suffering from the disease. The targeted demographic structure is also expected to increase during the forecast period, which will further demand the shunt implant in affected population group. In 2018, UK accounted for highest sales of shunt, followed by France and NORDIC.
Leading Hydrocephalus Shunt Market Players:
Some of the key industry players covered in the report are:
- Boston Neurosciences
- DePuy Synthes
- Tokibo Co., Ltd
- HLL Lifecare Limited
- Christoph Miethke GmbH & Co. KG
- Integra LifeSciences Corporation
- Sophysa SA
- Spiegelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Terumo Corporation
- Natus Medical Incorporated
- Braun Melsungen AG
- Medtronic Plc
- Johnson & Johnson Services Inc.
By Product Type:
- Fixed Pressure Valves
- Adjustable Pressure Valves
- Standard Catheters
- Antimicrobial Catheters
By Therapeutic Procedure:
By Targeted Population:
By End-use Channel:
- Neuro centers
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
What Will You Discover in the Report?
- An in-depth analysis of the Hydrocephalus Shunt market across regions – North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa.
- How the Hydrocephalus Shunt market sales is expected to grow throughout the forecast period.
- How geopolitical policies and technological changes will affect the Hydrocephalus Shunt market in near future
- Where the stakeholders should invest to generate higher profit margins
- How consumers (end-users) will reflect to the Hydrocephalus Shunt industry during the forecast period
- Who are the Hydrocephalus Shunt industry leaders and what are the key initiatives taken by them for long term growth
Analyst access with Bekryl Market Analysts
Purchasing of Hydrocephalus Shunt market research report will give clients access to 120 minutes telephonic access with a research analyst. The duration for access to analysts will be based on the report subscription editions.