Global lithium-ion battery market size is estimated to be valued at US$ 40.7 Bn in 2019 and is expected to register a double digit CAGR during the forecast period. In 2019, the global lithium-ion battery sale is estimated to account for approximately 130 thousand MWh driven by increasing adoption of e-vehicles especially in China. The automotive segment is estimated to account for over 55% revenue share of the global lithium-ion battery market.
Global Lithium Ion Battery Market, by Technology Type:
In 2019, the LiPeFO segment dominates the global lithium-ion battery market with over 70% market share as it is primarily used in electric vehicles and industrial applications. This is followed by second largest segment, that is NMC, which is used in applications such as consumer electronics and electric vehicles. Most of the electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, ultra-thin portable PCs currently use LCO technology.
Global Lithium-ion Battery Market Key Developments, Insights, and Trends:
Various players in the ecosystem focus on expanding or setting up new production facilities in order to cater to growing demand for lithium ion batteries
- In July 2019, Tata Chemicals announced plans to set up a new Lithium-ion manufacturing plant in Gujarat, India, in order to cater to growing demand for electric vehicles in the country
- In April 2019, Micropower Group announced plans to expand its lithium-ion batteries production through setting up new manufacturing plant at Växjö, Sweden
Global Lithium-ion Battery Market, by Region:
Among all the regions, Asia Pacific Lithium-ion battery market currently dominates the global market, with China accounting for substantial share in the region. The market in China is estimated to account for over 45% revenue share of the global market followed by Japan with approximately 30% revenue share. The dominance of China is primarily due to the increased adoption of e-bus and e-bikes over the recent years. Stringent government environmental policies and availability of favourable subsidies has led to increasing adoption of e-vehicles in the country. However, the market in Europe is expected to grow at a significant CAGR during the forecast period as players focus on increasing it production capacity in order to cater to regional demand for large utility projects, residential storage and electric vehicles.
Global Lithium-ion Battery Market Size and Forecast: Competition Landscape
Key China-based players such as BYD, TianJin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock CO.,LTD., Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd., etc. focus on expanding their production capacity in order to cater to growing demand for lithium-ion-based batteries for electric vehicle and also focus exporting to emerging countries such as India and brazil in order to gain revenue opportunities.
- In February 2019, BYD Co. Ltd. announced plans to set-up a new 20 GWh electric vehicle battery manufacturing facility in Chongqing Municipality, China. The investment is estimated to be valued at approximately US$ 1.5 Bn.
South Korea-based companies focus on expanding their presence in South East Asian countries, where as Europe-based companies focus on expanding their production capacity.
Some key Lithium-ion battery market players are:
- LG Chem Ltd.
- Samsung SDI Co. Ltd
- Tesla, Inc.
- BYD Co. Ltd.
- Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited
- Johnson Controls International plc
- TianJin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock CO.,LTD.
- Sony Corporation
- Sanyo Panasonic
- Saft Groupe S.A.
- Duracell Inc.
- Guoxuan High-tech Co. Ltd.
- OptimumNano Co. Ltd.
- First New Energy
By Product Type:
By Technology Type:
- Cellular Phones
- Portable PCs
- Power Tools
What Will You Discover in the Report?
- An in-depth analysis of the Lithium-ion battery market across regions – North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa.
- How the Lithium-ion battery market revenue is expected to grow throughout the forecast period.
- How geopolitical policies and technological changes will affect the Lithium-ion battery market in near future
- Which current and upcoming technologies will shape up the Lithium-ion battery market?
- Where the stakeholders should invest to generate higher profit margins
- How consumers (end-users) will reflect to the Lithium-ion battery industry during the forecast period
- Who are the Lithium-ion battery industry leaders and what are the key initiatives taken by them for long term growth?
- Industry exclusive use cases
Who will benefit from the Report?
- Battery Raw Material Supplier
- Battery Manufacturer
- Battery End-user OEMs
- Consultants and Analysts
Analyst access with Bekryl Market Analysts
Purchasing of global Lithium-ion battery market research report will give clients access to 120 minutes telephonic access with a research analyst. The duration for access to analysts will be based on the report subscription editions.